Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Rest In Peace, Doc Kwtowski, Nov. 14, 1939 – Nov. 11, 2016

The following was read at faculty senate on Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 in C-161 at 12:30.  There was a full lecture hall.

Good afternoon.  When I was asked to give a short speech in honor of Doc Kwitowski, I agreed without hesitation.  It is an honor.

To my Catholic friend, Doc Kwitowski.

Having grown up in Sanborn, since 1973 NCCC has had special meaning. At first NCCC was an expansive parking lot, in which I could race my bike and occasionally get chased off the library roof by security.  This was quite exciting for a 14 year old. 

Before long my older brother Joel attended here, and soon talked about someone named Doc. Some of his friends also came here. They also talked about Doc.  At that point I didn’t know who Doc was, but I did believe he existed.  His attributes were yet to be revealed.

During my senior year of high school, in 1977, I told my chemistry teacher that I was headed to NCCC.  She was a great teacher, no doubt, but she discouraged me from attending here.  I should go to a real college, she said. I could tell, Ms. Gervase didn’t believe in Doc.

There is a certain sense of historical irony here.  I was the only one in my circle of friends who graduated in four years.  I was also accepted into every graduate school to which I applied, and offered a generous assistantship. Graduating from SUNY Buffalo with an MA in math, I lined up next to Ms. Gervase, who was getting a second masters, and told her what a wonderful education I received at NCCC.  The truth did, indeed, set me free.

In the fall of 1977 I did start at NCCC.  Initially I didn’t take a course from Doc, but I did hear of him. Fellow students were always working on his problem sets, and there was a certain excitement surrounding chemistry at NCCC.  It was a given that you could study chemistry at NCCC and go anywhere, including UB, Cornell, professional school, industry, and so on. The science programs at NCCC were seriously serious, and no one could out-serious Doc.

There was a certain transcendence in the hallways of C-Building in that era. The skeptical empiricist David Hume could not have fully described the essence of Doc.  Even he would have believed in Doc, and run to Aquinas.  Ralph Waldo Emerson also would have also liked Doc.  As he once said, “Truth is handsomer than the affectation of love. Your goodness must have some edge to it, else it is none.”  Emerson didn’t know it, but he was referring to Doc here.

With Doc, the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Eventually I did meet Doc.  I took chemistry for the fun of it, as it was not required for a math/comp sci student. I wanted a well-rounded education, and that should include at least one Doc. The first class period left an indelible mark on me.  It was a beatific vision of sorts.  Since then I never lost my faith in Doc. I have the same impression of Doc as I had in the first five minutes of class.  There was a certain transparency about him, which pointed to his authenticity.

In walked this interesting guy, who I recognized as a strange combination of Lenny Bruce, Andy Rooney and Neils Bohr.  Doc had a cool, subtle, sarcastic wit, which only served to amplify his seriousness, and the depth of his substance.  Doc often remarked, disparagingly, about people who were all style and no substance.  His style amplified his substance.

For this 19 year old, Doc was the definition of cool, and definitely a stark contrast with anyone who taught me in high school. I almost said he was the Miles Davis of NCCC, but that would be wrong.  Miles Davis was the Paul Kwitowski of jazz. Elvis was the Doc of rock.  Coolness was measured on a scale of 1 to Doc, and it was measured on a logarithmic scale.  No one else can reach Doc.  They can only approach that standard.  I heard someone on the west coast reached Doc-1, and so is one tenth as cool as Doc.   I don’t believe it. It became obvious why Doc had such a following.

I never met Dr. Notar, but I have come to believe that the greatness of his era was that he begat many more eras. Like the era of Doc Kwitowski, the era of Graham Millar, the era of James Abbondanza, the era of Don Voisenet,  and Roy Summer, and Meredith Kellogg, and Bob Baxter, and the list goes on.  Each of these eras begat a multitude of success in various forms that otherwise would not have happened.  

We are more than a college. We are a community college.  We are more than the crown jewel of Niagara County.  We have organic properties, and are way more important than something we can merely polish and admire and covet.  We are a source of creation.   Creatio ex nihilo, or creation out nothing as the saying goes. Our students start with nothing, and leave with something, thanks to Doc and others like him.  

Doc created an era of enormous proportion.  Some of you who know him will be surprised to find out that much of that era was planned in the coffee room.  During one such encounter in the early 90’s, I discussed offering a one credit hour course called “math for physics”.  The course would consist of weekly meetings where I would teach applied math to physics students that is useful for the upcoming week.  This would free up time for the physics instructor, and give students a much deeper comprehension. Math for physics would also give students a seamless math education, bridging the pure and the applied, and expedite the transitioning of students into various STEM curricula.  Teaching math concurrently could also possibly decrease the number of pre-req’s, and definitely would cut attrition way down.   

Two days later Math for Physics was in the register, and it ran as a special topics course.  That was how Doc worked - tirelessly, with sound judgment, and with vision. We planned to follow up with other bridge courses for other programs and departments as the demand warranted.  This would have been real cutting edge stuff, possibly revolutionary. Working with physics and concurrency was my idea, but the general idea came from Doc’s sci-data course, which was enormously effective in chemistry.  It was also Doc’s idea to broaden the scope to a college-wide program.

Not long after, our agenda came to a screeching halt. The efficient cause was testosterone and a tug of war over resources, and the final cause was stupidity and a personality clash that had started during my bike riding adventures.   My career was marginalized, and so was Doc’s.   If I had it to do all over again, the only thing I would change is how hard I fought.  Doc was worth going on a crusade for.   I am proud to say I went to battle with Doc. There were some larger issues at hand. 25+ years later, look where we are.  With Doc, I was always on the right side of right, but sometimes on the wrong side of wrong. But, as the Catholic writer G.K. Chesterton once remarked, only a living thing can swim upstream.  Doc swam upstream a lot.  


We can only look forward to a new era that begets many more eras. According to another great man whom I respect, Pascal Zanzano, the faculty, if they are allowed, will create, and much better so than a couple of deans.  Let’s remember Doc, but not live in the past. We are well into the era of Dr. Lindsey Rose, and I am sure if Doc looked down on it, he would say it is very good. There are better days ahead. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment